PH Neutraliser Up Flow 1252 with Calcite Media
• Naturally occurring material
• Low uniformity coefficient for maximum contact for controlled pH correction
• Slower reacting for controlled pH correction
Calcite is a crushed and screened white marble media which can inexpensively be used to neutralize acidic or low pH waters to neutral.
Calcite is a naturally occurring calcium carbonate media. One of the advantages of Calcite is its self-limiting property. When properly applied, it corrects pH only enough to reach a non-corrosive equilibrium. It does not overcorrect under normal conditions. Upon contact with Calcite, acidic waters slowly dissolve the calcium carbonate to raise the pH which reduces the potential leaching of copper, lead and other metals found in typical plumbing systems. Periodic backwashing will prevent packing (if using the maunual backwash valve head), reclassify the bed and maintain high service rates. Depending on pH, water chemistry and service flow, the Calcite bed will have to be periodically replenished as the Calcite is depleted.
As the Calcite's calcium carbonate neutralizes the water, it will increase hardness.
• Color: Near white
• Bulk Density: 90 lbs./cu. ft.
• Mesh Size: 16 x 40
• Specific Gravity: 2.7
• Effective Size: 0.4 mm
• Uniformity Coefficient: 1.5
• Hardness: 3.0 (Mohs scale)
• Composition: CaCO3, 95% min.
MgCO3, 3.0% max.
CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
• A gravel support bed is recommended
• Water pH range: 5.0-7.0
• Bed depth: 24-30 in.
• Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
• Backwash rate: 8-12 gpm/sq. ft.
• Backwash Bed Expansion: 35% of bed depth
• Service flow rate: 3-6 gpm/sq. ft. but may be modified to adapt to local conditions